Mission Peak : Boy Scouts News & Events
Scout Day Camporee - September 20-21, 2013
This will be our 4th annual Scout Days Event, which this year will be:
- Overnight camping at the Scout Day Camporee for Troops, Webelos 1s and Webelos 2s (only) at Lake Elizabeth on September 20th. Troops invite Webelos 2s to camp overnight with the Troop, and any Webelos 2s not camping overnight with a Troop and any other Webelos 1's may camp as a Pack (Webelos only) on September 20th. Flyers have already been sent to unit leaders that need to be returned with your preliminary attendance estimates by August 24th for Troops, and August 31st for Packs. Scout Day patches will be given to Troops, Teams, and Crews after they check out on Saturday. Webelos camping overnight with a Troop will be receiving their patches from the Troop.
- Stargazing: Bring your telescopes and binoculars to share to see the stars, and look around the night sky on Friday night.
- Dragon Boat Racing for Boy Scouts on Saturday morning. This is a Boy Scout event. We will be using 20 person boats and don't worry if you don't have 20 racers from your unit. We will combine Scouts from all units into teams of 20 paddlers so all Boy Scouts will be able to race. If time allows, some Webelos may be allowed to paddle around near the dock area around noon or in the afternoon. Webelos Dens need to check in with Skip Phair in the dock area on race day to get their Den on the list. Last year we were able to do this.
- Cub Scout Games for all Cub Scouts runs from 9:30 am to noon on Saturday. Cub Scouts receive a Scout Day Patch after participating in 6 or 8 activities that involve crawling, blowing, running, tossing, throwing, hopping, and running. The fee for the patch is $1.00. This is for all ages, including brothers and sisters. No registration is required, just show up. No prior experience is necessary.
- Community Service for everyone: Since September 21st is Coastal Clean-up Day, we are organizing a park clean-up so you won't lose an opportunity to earn service hours for your community service. More details to follow. We plan to have a separate patch for this and need you to give us estimates of how many Scouts and adults will be participating from your unit.
- Cool Off, Splash, or Swim at the Waterpark Facility at Lake Elizabeth/Fremont Central Park: Participate in Scout Day on September 21st and receive a special Scout discount from 2 pm to 5 pm on September 21st.
Signing up, fees, and logistics issues:
- Registration is by unit - Pack, Troop, Team, or Crew.
- Register using the Scout Day Flyers that have already been sent out in a previous email to the top 2 leaders of each unit.
- Email your attendance/participation estimates to Steve Armstrong (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than August 31st. You can mail your deposit later.
- Final estimates and all fees are due no later than Spotlight on Scouting on September 12th.
- Refer to the attached Scout Day Map to locate our many activities and see where to park.
- Parking issues? No - refer to the map for parking options. We've arranged lots of parking at the Library and other city buildings that are about a 5 minute walk from all of our activities.
- What's the schedule on Saturday? Refer to the Preliminary Scout Day Schedule.
- What are the camping guidelines? Refer to the Camping Guidelines.
Our key leadership team for this year's event includes Larry Seymour (Dragon Boat Transportation and Logistics); Gary Ely (Dragon Boats and the Races); Ray Cooper and Tim Howard with an assist from TC Noble (overnight camping); Hideo Okada and Troop 269 (Cub Scout Games); Bob Doherty, Skip Phair, and Peter Dutton (Dragon Boat Races); someone to be determined (Park Community Service); Joe Barton; and, Don Uriu and Steve Armstrong (overall).
Any questions at this point? Contact Steve Armstrong